As a fourth year primary/ junior concurrent education student,
my course plan has required me to take various courses about education. Many of
the courses have focused on the history of education, philosophers that have
influenced western education, and forms of education such as inquiry based
education. My current education course discusses the topic of literacy,
focusing on 21st century literacy.
To be honest, before the class started the title of ‘21st
Century Literacies: an Introduction’ did not thrill me. I had a preconceived
notion that the course was going to reiterate our discussions about assessment
and how to integrate it into our classroom. I also thought we were going to
discuss the various standardized tests in Ontario such as EQAO. I was pleasantly
surprised when the class started off breaking ‘21st century and
literacy’ into two big ideas.
From this one lecture I learned that literacy is not simply the
act of being able to read words on a page. Literacy is defined as the various
techniques that individuals use to grasp and understand content. From these
understandings, conclusions are made allowing an understanding of their world.
The 21st century is more than just this current century, and more
than the technology which is often associated with this time period. The 21st
century in education refers to the acknowledgement of diversity of student
learning, the need to be able to communicate effectively, and being critically
literate. Expanding further, critically literate requires the synthesis of
information, making informed decisions, and effective communication in a
changing environment.
As a teacher candidate, I understand
that it is my duty to teach students to use tools and skills to accomplish
critical literacy. I feel there is still a lot to learn about how I am going to
implement this into my classroom. For now, I have been able to conceptualize
that there are no right answers because everyone has a different view of the
world, and the content needs to be taught reflecting the students’ contexts. I
am excited to learn more in-depth about the new literacies (media literacy,
moral literacy, character education, environmental literacy, financial
literacy, global literacy, multicultural literacy, technology literacy, mental
health literacy, and discipline-based literacy) that can be incorporated into
the classroom, that will allow me to teach my students to function and work in
today’s evolving society.
No comments:
Post a Comment